Where cool meets versatile. Meet our very favorite chair.
Quick-ship chairs ship within 1-2 business days.
Options not noted as a quick-ship will require shipment from Norway and carry an extended lead time. Please call for more information. If you are interested in a special order Gravity Balans, see our Special Order page
A perfectly timed power nap is a great way to jumpstart the body and increase productivity. The Gravity balans turns this short slumber into a rejuvenating relaxation period. With the legs elevated above the heart, the fully reclined Gravity balans gently rocks to the rhythm of your breathing. The back rest and adjustable neck rest perfectly cradle the body - creating a sense of weightlessness.
The Gravity balans by Varier is certainly not limited to reclining. The unique design provides a wide range of seating options that will support the body throughout. A forward tilt accommodates the standard kneeling posture of all Varier balans seating, while a tilt back will leave your feet on the floor in a more traditional position. So, whether you working at a table, leaning back to enjoy a book, or fully reclining to pursue that ever-important power nap, the Varier Gravity balans offers full body support to achieve the ultimate in comfort and relaxation.
- Based on the original Balans chair design by Peter Opsvik
- Handcrafted in Norway by skilled artisans
- Seven-year guarantee on wooden parts
- Five-year guarantee on mechanisms
- Three-year guarantee on foams and upholstery
- Available in a large range of fabrics, colors, and finishes
- Ideal chair for both relaxing and working
- Optional weighted headrest
- Lean forward to work, lean back to read, or recline to nap
- Optional soft tape for wood floors
- Polyurethane foam cushion
- Previously known as the Stokke Gravity balans chair
- All wood is harvested from highly sustainable forests
- Oak and beech woods are native to Europe and all walnut is harvested in the USA
- Assembly required
- Overall dimensions: 53.1"D, 28.7"W, 48"H. Seat height: 17.3"
- Shipping dimensions: 27" x 31" x 8" & 22" x 3" x 58" 55lbs total
Upholstery and Finish Options:
Many upholstery options are available for Varier seating. Click to visit our Varier upholstery page
Please note that digital swatches are for reference only as monitor settings can vary. Please contact us if you are interested in ordering sample swatches.
The following upholsteries and frame colors are available for quick-ship:
Adjustable neck rest:
The adjustable neck rest offers support and comfort for users of varying heights. The Gravity Balans also offers a weighted headrest option. This option helps shorter (under 5'6") and/or lighter (under 120lbs) users keep the chair in a reclined position. This option does not change the look of the headrest in any way and will not effect the use of the chair by larger users.
Soft Tape (Optional)
Soft tape is recommended for chairs that will be used on wood floors or other hard surfaces. The tape easily attaches to the bottom of the chair and helps to protect both the chair and the floor during use. Soft tape is in stock and available for quick ship orders.
Gravity Chair: Perfect for a power nap, the body gently rocks to the rhythm of its breathing. Supported at every position, the body feels weightless - quite possibly the closest you will come to achieving zero gravity.
With a lighter recline the body is in the ideal position for reading or just relaxing and watching TV.
In a more traditional position the Gravity balans still offers the ultimate in support.
Leaning forward the Gravity takes on the characteristics of a kneeling chair.