Small and Functional: the Varier Multi Balans.
In-stock chairs ship within 1-2 business days. Below we have included swatches for available upholsteries.
The Varier Multi Balans is based on the same principles as the original Peter Opsvik balans designs. The position created by all kneeling chairs increases the angle between the upper body and thighs. the Multi balans lets the user select the appropriate angle for his or her body.
At the highest setting, the back and thighs are nearly at the same angle as when standing, drastically reducing strain and pressure. And, at its lowest setting, the chair can be used as a child's chair and work station.
Designed to be portable, the Varier Multi Balans is light enough to carry between work areas. The Multi can also be collapsed allowing for a minimal footprint when being transported or when not in use.
Humans were created to move, not to sit still.
No scientific evidence supports the notion that the "correct" sitting posture is upright, at a right angle. In fact, studies are now revealing that the body operates best when its form is allowed to remain open and fluid.
The Varier Multi Balans helps to achieve just that. Height-adjustable seats place the body in a seated, kneeling position. This allows the angle between the thighs and torso to increase, allowing the body to naturally adopt the same spine curvature as when standing, relieving pressure from the vertebrae and letting you breathe more deeply and freely. The Multi Balans promotes constant natural movement, keeping the back and abdominal muscles active at all times. While sitting, the user is actually strengthening the core muscles of the abdomen and back while preventing tension in the neck and shoulders.
This "active sitting" improves circulation and oxygen levels, boosting energy, concentration, and overall well-being.
- Original Balans chair design by Peter Opsvik.
- Handcrafted in Norway by skilled artisans.
- Seven-year guarantee on wooden parts.
- Five-year guarantee on mechanisms.
- Three-year guarantee on foams and upholstery.
- Available in a large range of fabrics, colors, and finishes.
- Adjustable to raise or lower the seat height and to alter the angle of sitting.
- Collapsible for easy transport and storage.
- Polyurethane foam cushion.
- Previously known as the Stokke Multi Balans chair.
- All wood is harvested from highly sustainable forests.
- Oak and beech woods are native to Europe and all walnut is harvested in the USA.
- Assembly required.
- Overall dimensions: 28.35"D, 20.47"W, 20"H.
- Shipping dimensions: 19" x 8" x 30" 15lbs.
Upholstery and finish options
Please note that monitor settings can vary greatly and we encourage all clients to request free upholstery samples to insure the correct upholstery and color are ordered.
The Varier Multi Balans kneeling chair is available in the following upholsteries and frame colors:
Quick-ship frame colors:
Adjustable seat height
The seat of the Multi Balans can be adjusted to increase or decrease the angle between the thighs and upper body. This also will allow users to work at different level of surfaces.
Wall hangers (Optional)
Wall hangers are optional and sold separately. The Multi Balans can be collapsed and is light enough to store on a wall. Please contact us if you are interested in purchasing a wall hanger for you Multi.